Saturday, April 7, 2007

Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Chronicles



release date: 11 November 1994
director: Neil Jordan
script: Anne Rice
cast:
Tom Cruise - Lestat
Brad Pitt - Louis
Antonio Banderas - Armand
Christian Rea - Santiago
Kirsten Dunst - Claudia
Christian Slater - Daniel

Lestat: Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves.

Lestat: I'm going to give you the choice I never had.

Lestat: Oh Louis, Louis. Still whining Louis. Have you heard enough? I've had to listen to that for centuries.

Daniel Molloy: So there are no vampires in Transylvania? No Count Dracula?
Louis: Fictions, my friend. The vulgar fictions of a demented Irishman.

Louis: Bear me no ill will my love we are now even.
Claudia: What do you mean?
Louis: What died in that room was not that woman. What has died is the last breath in me that was human.
Claudia: Yes, Father. At last we are even.

Louis: Forgive me if I have a lingering respect for life.

Louis: You've condemned me to Hell.
Lestat: I don't know any Hell.

Louis: The statue seemed to move, but didn't. The world had changed, yet stayed the same. I was a newborn vampire weeping at the beauty of the night.

Armand: The world changes, we do not, there lies the irony that finally kills us.

Well, if you haven't seen this vampire movie yet, you would certainly think that ok it's another vampire movie about ruthless and vindictive, evil vampires. But I reassure that this is not the case. It is not another movie about vampires killing human beings. No my darlings, it is a movie about vampires themselves. About the relationships amongst them, about their sorrow and sadness, about their love and death, about their madness. About the huge burden of being an immortal. It is the saddest movie I've ever seen. I came to love them by watching this very movie lamenting for their existence. If vampires truly exist I swear that they would be like that. I am also grateful because through this movie I had the chance to get to know Anne Rice, the creator of the Vampire Chronicles, the most seductive and interesting series of novels I've read so far. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it for all the above reasons, plus the articulate direction by Neil Jordan.

Zemanta Pixie

0 comments: