Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Winnet and the Raven

"And what if I stay?"
"You will find yourself destroyed by grief. All you know will be around you, and at the same time far from you. Better to find a new place now."
Winnet thought about this, while the raven balanced patiently on her shoulder.
"Will you come with me?"
"I can't, I'm bound here, but take this!" The raven flew down and as far as Winnet could see, started vomiting on the flags. Then he rearranged his feathers and dropped a rough brown peddle into her hand.
"Thank you" said Winnet. "What is it?"
"It's my heart."
"But it's made of stone."
"I know," the raven replied sadly. "You see I chose to stay, oh, a long time ago, and my heart grew thick with sorrow, and finally set. It will remind you."

excerpt from Jeannette Winterson's 'Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit'

0 comments: